Recently, several friends have independently suggested that I start a blog – I think this is more because they can’t keep up with my ADHD emailing than that they think I have anything particularly interesting to blog about, but I figure, why not try it out and give my friends a little respite. So then comes the question of what to blog about. Food? HGTV? Photography? I love all of these things, but how can I pick just one thing to write about? I decided I couldn’t so this blog will be a little something about everything. Well, not everything, but you know what I mean.
So here are a few things about myself so you can keep my posts in perspective:
- I almost certainly have ADHD. I once took a WebMD ADHD test and before I finished, I got distracted and did something else. The online test (yes, I know that is not a reliable way to diagnose yourself) “confirmed” that I indeed have adult ADHD. Posts may have a hint (or more) of stream of consciousness. If this frightens or frustrates you, oh well.
- Despite probably having ADHD, I am very organized. I have an excel spreadsheet for almost everything I do. I like to assign quantitative values to everything and I think running regressions is terrifically fun. I will try to keep this blog organized even though it is going to be about lots of random things I find interesting.
- I am indecisive when it comes to relatively unimportant things and I have FOMA (fear of missing anything). These two are inextricably linked. I am indecisive because I have FOMA. Sometimes I buy two shirts in the same color because I can’t decide which color I like better. I also have FOMA for others, so if I am eating something amazing, it gives me slight anxiety if whoever I’m with doesn’t want to try it. I’m not sure how this will impact my posts, but as an integral part of my personality, I’m sure it will.
- I have an inflated sense of capacity. I credit my parents for this can-do attitude, but it does create feelings of what-have-I-gotten-myself-into, particularly in the home improvement realm. For some reason, this attitude, the hours I have spent watching HGTV, and readily available how-to guides online, make me believe that I can do things like retile my bathroom and install hardwood floors. For the most part, these things have worked out fine and thanks to my wonderfully patient and indulgent partner who operates power tools, these tasks have been completed within a “reasonable” (aka 5xs the time it takes someone who actually knows how to do these things) period of time and our house has not yet collapsed. I dream of being on an HGTV show.
- I’m going to try to avoid policy issues on this blog, but my career is broadly about giving voice to the voiceless, so frustrations with injustice may emerge from time to time. Be warned that I believe in things like education for poor children of color, not incarcerating people with mental health illnesses, and taxing everyone to provide services for those who need them. If these ideas make you cringe … well, that sucks, but you still might enjoy my thoughts on eating delicious things or grouting tile.
Enjoy! Constructive criticism is welcome since I’m new to this blogging world.