No, that’s not a typo. I did a glider makeover, wasn’t totally satisfied and made it over again, so this is a glider makeover makeover!
As you may have read in my Glider Makeover post, I didn’t love the dye job because it was a bit uneven since the fabric was originally faded/worn. So, with some trepidation, because I am no expert sewer (or really even a novice sewer), I decided I’d give upholstery a go.
I measured everything and ordered 4 yards of indoor/outdoor fabric (easy to wipe up, which is key with toddlers running amok). I decided I would actually use the pattern sideways because I wouldn’t need as many yards that way. I didn’t want to spend too much on fabric in case it turned out to be a disaster.
Once I had my fabric, I just thought about it, read a million blog posts about how to upholster furniture and sew piping, and kept thinking about it. Weeks went by, months possibly, and I finally gathered enough courage to cut the fabric 😛 More weeks went by and I finally decided that I had nothing to lose. It actually turned out to be pretty simple! Here goes:
Step 1: Deconstruction!
I went to town with my seam ripper and then my she-woman strength ripping all those seams. It is SO helpful to have a sample to follow instead of creating your own pattern or trying to do it without a pattern, but keep in mind that different material stretches differently. Since the original cotton was more stretchy, I cut my new fabric slightly bigger than the original pieces I was using as my guide.
Step 2: Measure/Cut Material
I had measured and cut the material in the early weeks when I had cold feet, but I cut a lot of extra just to be safe. So now I trimmed it and used that trim to cover my piping.
(Doesn’t that fading look icky? Now, you see why I had to makeover my makeover!)
Step 3: Piping
I sewed piping. This is actually super simple, but seemed really scary before I did it. You just pull the original cord out, wrap it in your new fabric, and sew (and trim if you didn’t beforehand). Seriously, it’s that easy.
Step 4: Attach Piping
Sew the piping to the cushion material. I started with the ottoman pillow because it has velcro and that seemed easier to sew than the zipper on the seat cushion. Sandwich your piping between the two sides with the wrong side out so that when you flip, you see the right side and the piping. I used pins to hold it together and then removed the pins as I got close.
I crazily decided I was going to match the piping to the pattern on the pillow. That was a huge pain because there was a level of precision that otherwise wouldn’t have been as necessary, but it does look pretty nice. It was especially challenging with the back cushion because the cushion isn’t exactly rectangular, but I made it work. If I had to do it again, I’d just use contrasting white fabric for the piping.
I read a lot about how you’re supposed to cut material for piping on a bias, but I also saw a few posts about how it isn’t necessary, so I took my chances because that was the only way to make the pattern on the piping and cushion match. I think it turned out pretty well.
In order to cover a long piece of piping, you can just sew strips together at an angle.
The most challenging part was wrapping the piping around the rounded edges while still trying to line up the pattern. You won’t have to deal with this if you use a solid color, which I highly recommend.
Step 5: Repeat, Repeat, Repeat
After the ottoman cushion, I did the back part. Since it was stapled to the frame, it seemed easier than tackling the zipper of the seat cushion. Unstapling the back piece again was a pain. I wish I had decided to makeover my makeover before I put it back on. Oh well!
Then, I finally tackled the seat cushion with the zipper and it actually turned out to be easy peasy. You just sew it on! Well, it’s a little more complicated. You can google it, but essentially, you stitch up to where you want to put the zipper, then baste where the zipper is going to be and stitch the other end. Iron the seam down, pin, tape, or glue the zipper in place, flip over, stitch the zipper down, take out the basted seam, and it’s in!
This project was relatively easy (I can’t believe I can honestly say that!), but very time consuming. It would have been easier if I hadn’t decided to match the piping 😛 If I used a solid color, it would have been a snap! I think it took me a total of about 15 hours, not including the many hours I spent surfing the web to build up my confidence enough to start!
- $28 – 4 yards of indoor/outdoor fabric
- $3 (on sale) – outdoor thread
So, with the cost of the first makeover, my total was about $50.
I think I need a break from curved sewing. Maybe I’ll make some pillows 😛
UPDATE: After all that piping I sewed, I realized that I should have used a zipper foot to make it easier to get right up against the piping. Oy, guess I need a new project to try that out!